Do you need help rehoming a dog? Maybe you found a stray and haven't been able to find it's owners. Or perhaps you adopted a dog and you have discovered they just aren't the right fit for your home. We want to help your dog find it's perfect forever home and our Guest Foster program helps us help you!
Guest Fostering is a lot like fostering, except that you retain ownership of the dog until we find a suitable forever home for them. You will keep the dog, and be responsible for them, (including all costs), until we can place them with an adoptive family. So, instead of waiting for a foster home to open up, you can get your dog exposure online and at adoption events right away! Check out our Guest Foster requirements below to see if this solution is right for you.
Guest Fostering Requirements
- The dog must be healthy and seen by a veterinarian within the last 6 months with a clean bill of health.
- The dog must be spayed or neutered. If they are not already fixed, you can have the procedure done at your own expense and send us proof that it has been completed.
- The dog must be up-to-date on all shots (DHPP/Bordatella/Rabies) and provide all vet records proving such. Note: Vet records submitted will be verified with veterinarian.
- The dog must receive monthly heartworm prevention and have had a heartworm test within the past 6 months if they are 1 year or older.
- You must be willing to allow a Hound Haven representative to microchip your dog if they are not already microchipped (this will be done at the cost of Hound Haven).
- All behavioral and health issues are to be made known to Hound Haven prior to acceptance of Guest Foster into program.
Guest Foster Requirements
- Guest Foster must be willing to foster the dog until a forever home can be found.
- Guest Foster agrees that they will work with Hound Haven, and only with Hound Haven, in an effort to rehome their dog.
- Once the dog has been entered into our Guest Foster program any friend, or family member who wishes to adopt the dog will need to go through Hound Haven's adoption process.
- Guest Foster agrees to take full responsibility for the dog until Hound Haven has found a suitable forever home for them.
- Guest Foster agrees to provide a loving and caring environment for the dog and to alert Hound Haven if any behavioral or health issues arise.
- Guest Foster must be willing to bring the dog to Hound Haven adoption events at least twice per month. See our events.
- Guest Foster must agree to sign an Owner Release once Hound Haven has an approved adopter for the dog.
- Guest Foster understands that the approval process for the adopter is left solely up to Hound Haven and that they will not be given any information on the adopter, but they may be given updates on the dog in their new home if requested. Feel free to check out our Adoption Process here.
- A home visit will be completed before final acceptance into the program.
If you believe you can satisfy the requirements of our Guest Foster program, then please fill out our Guest Foster Application to get the process started.
After we receive your application, we will contact you to schedule a home visit to make sure you meet all the requirements. At that time we will sign a Guest Foster contract and go over any questions you might have. We will also take additional pictures of the dog, if needed, to get them as much attention as possible online. We hope that our expert help in rehoming dogs will help to get your dog placed in their perfect forever home quickly!
Once your dog has been placed in a forever home you will receive a portion of the adoption fee (amount will depend on the age category your dog falls into).
Already filled out your application and just waiting to hear back? Get a head start by filling out our Guest Foster Dog Analysis form!